Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Vegan Oatmeal Maple Scones

Okay.  I admit it.  I have an obsession with scones. To me, they are the perfect food.
And oh yeah, obvious, I am in love with the flavor of maple syrup.

So, on yet another freezing cold Sunday recently, I made it my mission to make this Oatmeal Maple Scone that my mother makes. When we are at her house to visit, she lures us out of bed with these scones baking in the oven and a pot of coffee brewing.  Really...Martha Stewart is my mother in disguise.
But like I have said before, my mother, the best baker in the world, does not bake in a vegan way...not even remotely.  Her version of this scone, which my family had so coveted, has ONE POUND of butter in it.
I am speechless with that fact.

The truth is...before I adopted a vegan lifestyle...I loved them like no other scone, and I love myself a scone.  I had to find a healthier way.
And I did!
The spelt and flax meal in this scone give it a great nutritional boost and the maple syrup and agave nectar keep it sweet but without a spike in your blood sugar.  I replaced the pound of  butter with Earth Balance soy free natural buttery spread, which is made with an expeller pressed natural oil blend (palm fruit, canola, safflower and olive oils).
All that in a warm delicious oatie triangle.  My idea of heaven next to a hot cup of coffee!
Vegan Oatmeal Maple Scones
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper

Whisk together these dry ingredients:
2 cups of organic whole spelt flour
3/4 cup of Bob's Red Mill gluten free organic Oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal

Add:
1 cup cold Earth Balance natural buttery spread (I use the no soy)
Use two knives or a pastry cutter or even just your fingers to cut the butter in to the flour mixture.
The butter should end up in pea size little pieces.

Then gently stir in until just combined  (do not over mix)
1/2 cup of hot water
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon organic agave plus a little more for brushing tops

If the mixture is very sticky add a bit more flour until the dough is able to be handled.
Place dough on your prepared bake sheet and form into a disk with lightly floured hands.  Then flatten the disk to be about 2 inches thick.  Cut the circle like a pizza pie into triangles.  Use your judgement on how many to cut, it should be about 8-10.  Once the triangles are cut, use a spatula to move them a little bit away from each other to expand and rise a bit.  Brush the tops of the dough with agave.  
Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and top looks dry.
Leave on pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
Enjoy as is or use the maple glaze for an extra treat...
Glaze
1 cup organic confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
Stir ingredients together until smooth and then drizzle on warm scones.

Notes:
These scones are vegan but due to the spelt flour, NOT gluten-free
These scones do freeze beautifully but best if not glazed.  After letting them cool completely, wrap individually and place in a freezer bag.  
To enjoy after freezing, place them in a 300 degree toaster for about 10 minutes and they will taste just like they came out of the oven fresh!




No comments:

Post a Comment