Monday, February 14, 2011

Chocolate Mini Cake


Recently in a baking store, I spotted a whoopie pie baking pan.  I was in love.
I had made whoopie pies before (see my very delicious sweet potato whoopie pie recipe), and had always used a regular old baking sheet.

But this pan looked magical.  I was envisioning perfect chocolate whoopie pies with pink filling for Valentine's Day.
I thought they would be so romantic, all cute and round and pink.  I thought my kids would find them irresistible, and my husband would be wowed by my vegan baking prowess.

But really, this turned out to be well...just mini cakes.
Guess what? I found nothing wrong with that delicious idea!

This  little cake is so soft, so moist, and with the most wonderful deep chocolate flavor.  I kept to my idea of the rice marshmallow filling inside, pink, of course.  They are the perfect little Valentine's day match!

My kids gobbled them up, my husband sang my praises....and I renamed this creation the Chocolate Mini.

I really don't know how that whoopie pie got its name anyway....it's not even a pie.
I am though, still in love with the pan....

Chocolate Mini Cake


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a whoopie pan pie with non-dairy cooking spray.
This recipe makes 12 layers or 6 minis.  Double the recipe for 12 minis total.

With a hand or stand mixer beat until smooth and fluffy:
1/4 cup Earth Balance buttery spread non-soy
1/2 cup packed organic light brown sugar
1 teaspoon best quality vanilla

In a measuring cup mix:
1/2 cup organic rice milk
1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Let sit for 5-10 minutes to create buttermilk

In a separate medium bowl whisk together:
1 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 raw organic cacoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Add half of the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and stir to combine.  
Then mix in the buttermilk, again stirring until combined.
Add the other half of the flour mixture and
1 1/2 tablespoons of hot water
Stir until all ingredients are combined and the batter is smooth.

Pour batter into prepared whoopie pie pan, filling evenly about 2/3 full.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes.  The minis will spring back when touched.
Remove from oven and place pan on a wire rack.  Allow the cakes to cool and then run a knife around the edge of the cakes to release them.
In the meantime, make your filling.

With an electric mixer beat until creamy:
3 tablespoons Earth Balance
Then add and continue to beat until smooth:
3/4 cup organic confectioners sugar
pinch of salt
1/4 cup of Suzanne's Ricemallow Creme (found in health food stores, or check my link to the right of this blog to order online)
1 teaspoon best quality vanilla
Natural food coloring - I  used just two drops of India Tree

When the minis are completely cool use a knife or spoon to spread the filling on one underside of a cake.  Then take another mini and put that one underside down on top of the filling.
Grab a cute plate and a fork....Enjoy!

Note:
The filling can be kept in the fridge for up to one week.  These are best made right before they are served.  Wrap any left over minis individually and store them in the fridge for up to three days.  








1 comment:

  1. These mini cakes were a HUGE hit with both my boys!!!
    It was a simle recipe to follow.

    ReplyDelete