Saturday, February 26, 2011

Jammin' Oatmeal Muffins

I saw a shark today.  Yup, you read that right.  This New York City girl saw a shark. 

And not just saw it...but I was actually in the ocean with it when it made it's appearance.  Like a scene out of Jaws, whistles blew, a crowd gathered on the shoreline, and I went running out of the ocean.
I really hope some one caught that on video.  Me, running with a look of terror on my face.  I hope it ends up on YouTube.  It has got to be hilarious. 

So my vacation has had a few surprises, but I have to tell you,...I love the unexpected.
My vacation morning started perfectly today with these jammin' muffins.
They are hearty and filling, made with oats, spelt, walnuts and a surprise of jam baked inside.
I put apricot jam in half of them and raspberry jam in the other.
Of course, use any jam that you like...marmalade, strawberry, blackberry. 
Surprise somebody you love.

Jammin' Oatmeal Muffins
makes 12-16 muffins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray a muffin pan with non dairy cooking spray.








Whisk together in a medium bowl:
2 cups organic rolled oats
1 /14 cup organic pastry flour
2/3 cup organic brown sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

In a separate bowl whisk together:
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
1 1/4 cup almond or rice milk
2 tablespoons best quality vanilla

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir very gently until just incorporated.
Then fold in:
1/2 cup toasted walnuts chopped (I toast the nuts for 5 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven.  It gives them a richer flavor.)  Save a tablespoon's worth for sprinkling on top.
Using a cookie scooper fill each muffin cavity 1/2 full. 
Gently spoon 1/2 teaspoon of the jam you like on to the batter.  (I used apricot in half and raspberry in the other half.)
Then cover the jam with more batter so the tin is now filled to 3/4 of the way full.
Sprinkle the tops with a pinch of organic brown sugar and a few chopped walnuts.
Place them in the preheated oven for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Place pan on wire rack. Let cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then remove muffins to the wire rack to cool further.  These muffins need a little time to set and the jam to cool a bit.

I had extra batter after the initial 12, so I used some to make mini muffins and instead of filling it with jam, I just sprinkled chocolate chips on top. 
Surprise!
Same recipe, no jam.
Spray a mini muffin tin with non-dairy cooking spray.  Fill the tin with batter 3/4 of the way full and sprinkle vegan chocolate chips on top.  Bake at 375 for 14-18 minutes.
These are awesome warm!


No comments:

Post a Comment