Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sweet Ev's Blueberry Banana Muffin


The other night I was of course, thinking about baking.  I am kind of obsessed about it.  I think though, in a good way.

So while we were in bed with the television on, I was musing to myself about peaches and brown sugar muffins. My husband looked up from what he was watching to listen to me.  He had on some sort of ultimate fighting wrestling show, that I have learned to tune out completely, but now he mutes the T.V.
Then, he asks me, "are you going to put in all those spices with the peaches, into the muffin?".

And I, kind of suspiciously, say "what about those spices?"

He replies ever so gently "could you please make a blueberry muffin, maybe with some bananas and oh yeah, some of that crumbly stuff on top?  But no spices please."
I sat up and looked at him and decide he has said the best idea of the day... that... and that he muted the wrestling.





These muffins turned out moist and delicious!
The banana has a nice subtle flavor that pairs perfectly with the sweet blueberries. No need for extra spice to cover up the fresh ingredients.  Spices are great, but this muffin stands on its own.
 The crumble on top was just the right call.
















Sweet Ev's Blueberry Banana Muffin


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a muffin tin with paper liners.


Whisk together in a medium bowl:
2 1/2 cups organic spelt flour
3/4 cup organic light brown sugar (packed) Plus more for sprinkling
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt


In another medium bowl stir together:
1 medium over ripe banana mashed
1 cup rice milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
2 teaspoon best quality vanilla


Gently stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just incorporated. Do not over stir.
Then fold in:
1 heaping cup of organic blueberries (fresh or frozen is fine too) 


Scoop with a cookie scooper into muffin tins evenly.  The batter should fill the tin almost full.

Topping:  
mix together with a fork:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup organic brown sugar



Sprinkle topping evenly on unbaked muffins and then bake in preheated oven for 22-25 minutes.  Until  
toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool in pan for a few minutes, than turn out onto a wire rack.
These are beyond delicious warm!
If you have any left that day, wrap individually and freeze in an air tight container.  They defrost and taste fresh like they were just made!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Evan Wyane! When do I get to taste these? They sound awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aunt Kim!
    I love your pumpkin scones and your cookies. I think I want to try these muffins, they sound very delicious. Can you bring them when we go skiing?
    Love, Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could barely wrestle myself away from the Cupcake Pan - These are yummy and nutritious.

    ReplyDelete