Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Granola Cookie


"I knew it!"
This is a really common phrase heard amongst me and my sisters.  
I am not sure how other people perceive this, but it is something we say when we feel intuitive about something.
Not in an arrogant way, more in a "I just had a feeling about that thing" way.

There is a bakery in Port Chester, NY that is owned by my sister's very closest friend, Jenn Kohn.  The bakery is filled with scrumptious baked goods and the most outrageous baked breads, all made there fresh every day.  It is aptly named The Kneaded Bread.  
Sadly for me, the baked goods are not vegan.
They also have a wonderful homemade granola there, that my sister goes to the bakery to have, every chance she gets. Many times I have heard her say that she wishes Jenn would make that granola into a cookie.  How perfect that would be. 

I will take that challenge, thank you very much....

"I knew it!" She said when she tasted the vegan granola cookies I had made.  "It has all the things I love and in perfect balance, all those seeds and nuts and grains!."

"I know!"  I replied.  Triumphant.

This cookie is simply crispy and chewy at the same time. All the flavors you love in granola...in a cookie to go.  I like it for breakfast!

Granola Cookie

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
Makes 16 cookies.


On a second lined cookie sheet, toast in the preheated oven for 5-10 minutes, watch for coconut to be lightly brown:
2 tablespoons raw almonds sliced or chopped
2 tablespoons organic sesame seeds
2 tablespoons organic unsweetened coconut
2 tablespoons organic sunflower seeds
**Toasting is not imperative, but really makes the cookie extra delicious


In a medium bowl mix together:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon best quality vanilla
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup organic light brown sugar


In another medium bowl whisk together:
1 cup of organic spelt
1 1/2 cup of rolled oats-I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free rolled oats
2 tablespoons flax seeds
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder


Add the dry ingredients into the wet, and combine with a spatula.  Fold in the toasted ingredients,
then add in:
2 tablespoons dried cranberries
2 tablespoons tart dried cherries
2 tablespoons currants
**Use whatever dried fruit you love and/or include 2 tablespoons of vegan chocolate chips too!


Using a tablespoon sized cookie scooper, place dough on prepared pan about 2 inches apart.  If the cookies look "high", use a wet finger and gently press them flatter.
Bake at 325 degrees for 14-18 or until golden in color and crispy looking around the edges.
Place tray on wire rack and allow cookies to sit for 5-10 minutes.  Then move cookies off of pan onto a wire rack to cool completely.  
These cookies will keep in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days.  I like to throw any leftovers into the freezer in an airtight container so that I can grab one for breakfast or a snack anytime. 






2 comments:

  1. I made the granola cookies last night & they came out delicious!!! my kids & husband all thought they came out great!
    However, they didnt look like the pic of VeganMama's cookies. Mine were less flat & crunchy -- but still tasty.
    I did a few things different -- one in particular that might have caused the change -- i used Quick cooking oats.
    I also added chocolate chips, hazelnuts and a bit more cocount.
    I think i would keep making it this way , because they were still delish and I like the crunch with a softer inside.
    Curious to know if anyone else has had success with this cookie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished making these and they are great. I made a few substitutions: I used walnuts in place of the almonds; pumpkin seeds in place of the sunflower seeds and 4 tablespoons of chocolate chips in place of the dried fruit (to appease the kids). To the previous poster - the first batch I baked a full 18 minutes and they were flat and crispy, the second batch I baked about 14 minutes and they were a little less crisp. I would definitely call these a success. Thanks for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete