Thursday, February 10, 2011

Almond Date Soft Cookies


There was another one of those,
"I like my cookie soft" vs. "I like my cookies crispy" feuds in my kitchen last night.
Did I mention that in NYC living space is tight, and my kitchen in particular, is VERY narrow.

So the cookie debate got heated very fast, with my husband on one side of me and my Mother, on the other.

My Mother is on team crispy.  And has very strong feelings about it.

But what I say to that, is, you don't have to choose a side and stick with it.
Soft, chewy, crispy.  A good cookie can be any, or all of those things.
The flavor is what counts the most.  In my opinion, it is what you bake with, and the quality of the ingredients that truly make it delicious.  The rest is just a matter of taste....

This cookie happens to be a soft cookie, slightly reminiscent of a scone.  It has a nutty flavor that the dates in it, compliment.  But if you don't like almonds, try walnuts.  And if you don't like dates, try dried apricots.
After all, it is your cookie...

Almond Date Soft Cookies

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.

Combine and whisk together in a medium bowl:
1 3/4 cups organic spelt flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Add:
1/3 cup Earth Balance non-dairy buttery spread
Use two knives, or your fingers to "cut" the butter into the flour mixture.  The flour will become coarser, with peas sized pieces of the Earth Balance.

Add to the flour mixture and stir in:
1/2 cup of raw almonds chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup of pitted organic dates cut into small pieces 

Add and stir in gently, until just incorporated:
1/3 cup rice milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
3 teaspoons best quality vanilla 

Drop on prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart with a tablespoon.
Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and "dry" on top.

Move to wire rack and enjoy warm.  Let any leftovers cool completely on wire rack, and then wrap individually and freeze in an airtight container.  Reheat them anytime, at 300 degrees, in the toaster for 10 minutes.  Tastes like it just came out of the oven!


No comments:

Post a Comment