Sunday, February 20, 2011

Chocolate Chip Scones

I am crazy in love with coffee.  For my birthday this year, my kids bought me a mug that says,
"Don't talk to me until I have had my coffee"

That is one of the more true statements I have ever heard.
I am pretty sure any one who knows me will be nodding their heads in agreement with this.
I am almost not nice without my beloved brown beverage.

I made this recipe with a cup of coffee in mind. These Chocolate Chip Scones are the perfect compliment to my hot drink.  Other people pair things with wine...I pair mine with a cup of joe.

These though, are still simply delicious even without a hot cup of coffee.  My daughter loves hers with an ice cold glass of almond milk.  Any which way....yum!

Vegan Chocolate Chip Scone

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
makes about 8 scones

In a medium bowl whisk together:
2 cups organic spelt flour
1/4 cup organic brown sugar 
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Add in:
6 tablespoons of Earth Balance buttery spread 
Use two knifes to "cut" the butter into the flour mixture; or you can just use your fingers.
The mixture should get crumbly, ending up with the butter in pea sized pieces.

Add in:
1/3 cup organic rice milk
2 teaspoons best quality vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
Stir in:
1 cup of vegan chocolate chips (I used mini chips)

When the dough is combined, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead once or twice very gently.  Use your hands to make the dough into a round, flat 2 inch thick disk. Cut the disk like a pizza into eight triangles.  Place the triangles onto the prepared baking sheet.  Sprinkle the tops with a little organic sugar.  Bake at 375 for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
Remove from the oven and place scones on a wire rack.
Break out your mug with the funniest saying, pour the coffee and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment