Monday, February 7, 2011

High Fiber Vegan Morning Muffin


These are my new favorite.
I think I might eat one every morning for breakfast for the rest of 2011.
I am like that.
I find something I love to eat and I will eat it every day for days, then weeks and I am happy to say...years.
My husband finds this all a little bit kooky.  I call it loyalty.

And I am loyal to my, as I mentioned before, gorgeous sweet potato.  Obviously it was not enough that I eat one most nights of the week with dinner, but, I needed to find a way to work some into breakfast too!
This muffin is one of those things you and your body can feel really good about.  It is made with Bob's Red Mill high fiber hot cereal, which is a mixture of oats, flaxseed, oat bran, wheat germ and wheat bran.

Fiber is awesome!  It keeps your insides clean and clear and helps absorb toxins out of your intestinal tract.
What is great about this muffin, is of course, all of that goodness is delicious too!
Banana and the sweet potato keep it moist yet slightly dense and filling.  Dried cranberries and dried apricots make a just right, sweet tart flavor.  Spelt flour adds protein and more of that beloved fiber.
This muffin is very near perfect in my eyes, please note though, that it not gluten free.
High Fiber Vegan Morning Muffin

Preheat the oven to375 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper liner or spray lightly with a non-dairy cooking spray.                                                                   yields 12 muffins

Sift together into a medium bowl:
3/4 cup organic spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of kosher salt

In a separate medium bowl combine:
3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Organic high fiber hot cereal (10grams of fiber in a 1/3 cup!!!)
1/2 cup organic brown sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup organic pureed sweet potato (canned is just fine)
1 medium banana over ripe and mashed 
1 teaspoon best quality vanilla

Mix the sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture and stir gently until fully incorporated
The batter will be thick so add,
1 tablespoon of hot water and continue to combine

Fold in:
1/3 cup dried organic cranberries
1/3 cup dried organic apricots  ( I use the unsulfured kind, the color is not as pretty, but healthier!)

I like to use a cookie scooper to scoop the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin.
With a wet finger, smooth out the top of the muffins.
Dot the tops of the muffins with a couple of cranberries and apricots.
Bake at 375 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Turn out onto wire rack and let cool.

I always say...awesome warm, but after they cool completely and the day is done, wrap individually and freeze in an airtight container.  
Pop one in your pocket for the morning rush!  Yum.


2 comments:

  1. I had one for breakfast today - delicious after 10 seconds in the microwave. I could eat this every day too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these today - they are really delicious!! I used frozen blueberries and they came out great. I am so looking forward to breakfast this week - I plan to eat them everyday - you're right - who needs variety when you have these?

    ReplyDelete