Sunday, February 13, 2011

Granola Bars


This morning we stepped outside our apartment building and onto the streets of NYC, the sun was shining super bright, and my 8 year old said, "I think I feel Spring".

Well thank you mother nature!  I was just starting to feel like I couldn't take one more minute of Winter. 
I know, I know,  a few blog posts ago I said we should stop wishing Winter away.
But I am making an amendment to that suggestion.
Don't wish winter away until at least the middle of February...but after that, let's all do some sun salutations and hold on to some warm thoughts. 
'Cause really....I am so over this particularly cold and snowy winter.

The spring feeling in the air made me feel like making something kind of light and energizing.  No heavy scones, cakes or donuts today. 
I made granola bars that are full of energy and health.  Raw almonds, gluten free oats, dried organic fruits.  Not too sweet and not too oily.  I find some granola recipes to be that way, but I lightened up on those ingredients, and really went for the natural stuff.
Simple to make, and they last for a week to two, in an airtight container in the fridge.  These are also delicious crumbled, and eaten in a bowl with your dairy-free milk of choice.  I love it with almond milk!

Granola Bars

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

On the baking sheet combine:
2 cups Bob's red mill gluten free oats
1 cup raw sliced almonds
1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
1 cup organic unsweetened coconut flakes

Toast this combination in the oven for 10 minutes or so, until you see them start to turn a golden brown.  Don't over toast it though...give it a stir half way through.  Then remove from oven and set aside.

Reduce the oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking pan that is about 7x 11 inches with parchment paper.

In a medium saucepan combine over low heat:
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup organic brown sugar
1 teaspoon best quality vanilla
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Stirring until the sugar dissolves.

Mix together:
toasted oats mixture
1/4 cup flax meal or seeds
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried figs cut up
1/2 dried apricots
Then pour saucepan mixture and stir to combine and coat all the ingredients.

Spoon the mixture into a parchment lined baking pan.  Using the spatula or another piece of parchment paper, press the mixture evenly into the pan.  Use your hands on top of the parchment paper to get the granola very compressed and even.
Bake for 25 minutes at 300 degrees.
Remove from oven and allow to cool COMPLETELY.  (If not, it will crumble apart when cut).  Cut into desired shape.  Refrigerate in an air tight container for up to two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment