Thursday, February 17, 2011

Happy Trails Muffin


I had a really bad baking day yesterday.  Nothing I made came out right.
It all went into the trash with a sad thud.

I was seriously discouraged and unhappy.
It was almost comical how upset I was by baked goods.

The problem was, that I feel very passionate about my baking.  I want it to taste delicious and look beautiful and be enjoyed.
Yesterday's attempts had none of those things....

But today, everything seemed right, and this muffin is a triple threat in my book.
It is inspired by trail mix, filled with almonds, sunflower, sesame and flax seeds.  Moist and hearty with banana, oats, spelt, and that high fiber, which is so good for you.  And like trail mix, it is slightly sweet with a burst of color on the inside from dried fruits.
It is the perfect breakfast muffin or a pick me up snack anytime.

This little guy rescued me from my baking doldrums and he is all sunshine and happiness.
Bake them and you'll see!

Happy Trails Muffin
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray a muffin tin with non-dairy cooking spray.
Makes 12 muffins.

Whisk together in a medium bowl:
1 cup of organic spelt flour
1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill High Fiber Hot Cereal  (10grams of fiber per 1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt


In a liquid measuring cup combine:
1 cup organic rice milk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla

In a separate medium bowl combine with a spatula:
3/4 cup organic brown sugar
1/4 cup olive oil

Add the milk combination and flour mixture to the sugar mixture, stirring with a spatula to combine.  
Then stir in until just incorporated:
1 cup organic rolled oats
Then fold in:
3/4 cup very ripe mashed banana
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce


Next stir in:
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons chopped raw almonds
2 tablespoons dried cranberries
2 tablespoons dried apricots
2 tablespoons raisins
2 tablespoons flax seeds
Note:  These are the seeds and fruits I liked for today, but go ahead and substitute for whatever makes you happy!


I put a little brown sugar crumble on top,which is delicious, but also optional for your taste:
Topping:
Combine in a small bowl and mix with a fork:
2 tablespoons organic brown sugar
1 teaspoon chopped almonds and sunflower seeds
1 teaspoon olive oil

Pour batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin.  They should just about reach the top. Sprinkle each one with a bit of topping.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let them cool in pan, on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes.  Carefully take them out of the pan and enjoy warm.  Any leftovers let cool completely on a wire rack and then wrap individually and freeze in an air tight container.
Warm one up in the microwave for about 20 seconds any time you like.  Happiness!

2 comments:

  1. I want to try one of these, looks right up my alley!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were a hit with my kids, even the picky eater. Now they just have to fight me for them. For me, the recipe made 12 muffins and 9 mini muffins.

    ReplyDelete