Sunday, February 6, 2011

Brown Rice with Fool em' Flax Crispy Treat-Vegan & Gluten Free


These Crispy treats are pretty obvious.  I sort of shrug my shoulders about them because what can you say about something that is always a favorite, kids and adults alike...but really mostly kids.
The regular version though, with the three guys and that marshmallow, is not vegan, or particularly healthy either.

So this healthy version of the crispy treat was inspired by my friend's daughter, who has so many allergies and sensitivities I couldn't even try to list them all.  Some big ones though are gluten, dairy, eggs, yeast, corn and of all things, sugar.
Wow.  What a tough way to be a kid.

My friend introduced me to the product that I used in an earlier recipe, which is a terrific replacement for marshmallow.  It is Suzanne's Specialities ricemellow creme.  It is all natural, vegan, marshmallow tasting, fluff stuff.  It is made with brown rice syrup and soy protein.  Perfect for the person affected by gluten, dairy and refined sugar.

I have a sweet treat philosophy.  Every day we should eat something we really love.  For me that is something sweet.  But, I still think, in every thing we eat, meals or sweet indulgence, that it can, and should still be nutritious.
Besides...truly, it is really not that hard.  These take less than 5 minutes to make, with a little chill time in the fridge, you are ready to roll when the kids get home from school

Brown Rice with Fool em' Flax Crispy Treat

In a small saucepan combine:
1 cup of Suzanne's Ricemellow creme
1 1/2 teaspoons of earth balance soy free buttery spread

Stir until melted and combined and then in a separate bowl combine:

3 cups crispy brown rice cereal  - (I like to use EREWHON organic, gluten free brown rice cereal)
1 teaspoon ground flax meal
optional:
1 cup vegan chocolate chips

Pour ricemellow mixture into cereal mixture and then transfer to an 8inch dish.  (I actually like to use a non-stick loaf pan)  Press mixture down with slightly wet hands or wax paper.
Chill until firm.  Cut in to desired shape.  Store the treats in the refrigerator covered, but they probably won't make it past the first day.  Mine never do!

Note:
Suzanne's ricemellow creme can be found in some health food stores, but if you have trouble, check to the right of this blog.  It is listed in things "I recommend", and you can buy it through that link to Amazon.


4 comments:

  1. Love!!!!
    Easy and yummo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have perused your online journal it is exceptionally useful for me. I need to express profound gratitude to you. I have bookmark your site for future redesigns.  veganfoodideas

    ReplyDelete
  3. clearly, It is an engaging article for us which you have provided here about Inulin Syrup This is a great resource to enhance knowledge about it. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. The delightful article you have posted here. This is a good way to increase our knowledge. Continue sharing this kind of articles, Thank you.Tapioca Soluble Fiber

    ReplyDelete