Friday, February 11, 2011

Powdered Vegan Donuts


I really wanted to stop myself from saying this but I couldn't...
Time to make the donuts!

I did hop out of bed this morning to make up a batch of these delicious vegan donuts.  Again, I couldn't stop myself.  They are just so good!

A few nights before, I had made a batch for my girls and my nephews for dessert.  When I dusted the powder on them and brought them over to the table, my nephew's eyes got big and he said,
"I never had a donut before"
He is allergic to eggs.

Imagine...never tasting a donut.

Now, there are lots of things I have made for him that don't have eggs, but this was my first time ever making donuts. He took one bite of that powdery, delicious thing and I could see that he was in heaven.
Well that did it for me folks.  Because truly, baking is all about love and happiness.


Powdered Vegan Donuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray a Donut cavity pan with non-dairy cooking spray.  Makes 6 donuts.  Double or triple recipe as needed.  These are best served fresh.

Sift into a medium bowl together:
1 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup organic evaporated cane juice
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

In a measuring cup, make buttermilk by combining:
1/3 cup rice milk
1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
(let them sit combined for 5-10 minutes)

Add to the flour mixture:
buttermilk mixture
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon best quality vanilla
1 tablespoon hot water

Mix until just incorporated.
Fill each donut cavity in prepared pan 2/3 of the way full.  Use a wet finer to gently smooth the tops.
Bake at 350 degrees for 7-9 minutes, or until the donut bounces back when touched.
Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 3-4 minutes.  Then gently lift them out of the molds onto the rack, flipping them, so that the underside is now up.
Dust with organic powdered sugar and serve warm.

Everyone will go crazy with love!

2 comments:

  1. these donuts were a cinch to make and my entire family loved them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to make these! I know my family is going to love them. This is my first time visiting your site and I can already tell it won't be my last.

    ReplyDelete