Monday, January 31, 2011

Love You Hearts


I was in yoga class this morning and the instructor kept reminding us to set our intention.
To focus.
To be present right here and right now in our practice of yoga.

I set my intention...and my focus.  I wanted to get home and turn on my oven.  I had been up late in the night putting together a mental recipe and I was itching to try it out.  So after class, I threw my heart and my intention into this new little creation.
They made me so happy I had to bake them into hearts!  I know, I know...I am getting a little over zealous about the little things in life.  But if you can't slow down enough to focus on the big things, let's just enjoy the little natural delicious ones.

This is a treat you can feel really good about.  They are vegan and gluten free. It has just a few ingredients and bakes up nice and fast.
Love You Hearts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk together in a medium bowl:
1 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Oats
1 cup quinoa flour
2 tsp. ground flax seed (I use spectrum organic)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

In a separate medium bowl combine:
1/2 cup of pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon best quality vanilla
1/2 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon warm water

Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine gently with a spatula. 
Fold in gently:
1/3 cup chopped dates
1/3 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons organic sunflower seeds
(use your imagination and substitute whatever you love...ideas...dried coconut, choc. chips, dried apricots)
You can use a cookie scooper and place 1 inch apart on your lined cookie sheet.  Press down gently with a fork.  They don't really spread.
I used a heart shaped cookie cutter and put that on the sheet and then put the batter inside.  With a wet finger, I smoothed it out and then gently took the cookie cutter off.
Bake 8-12 minutes.  They should brown a bit and be slightly firm.  Careful not to let the bottoms burn.
Cool immediatley on a wire rack.
Share a heart with a friend!

2 comments:

  1. Kim, these look great!!! I cannot wait for this weekend because I am determined to try at least two of your recipes! I have not made any progress with starting my blog, a few things came up. But I will let you know asap!
    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim...They look fabulous and yummy too!
    -M in Boca

    ReplyDelete