Monday, January 24, 2011

Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yesterday it was cold!  Today it is even colder!
But I didn't care.  I bundled up and headed down town to hit the Whole Foods Market in Union Square.  I thought the cold air was actually invigorating.  The sun was shining, the air felt clear and I was happy to be out of the apartment...also known as the cabin. 
Even better,  in the market I found what I have been looking for. All natural decorating food colors.  The brand is India Tree and they are made with wonderful things like red cabbage, beet juice and curcumin.  I can't wait to make my daughter the red velvet cupcakes she has been asking for!  I haven't been able to fulfill her request because I would not use anything that is just named a number.   i.e . red dye #5 
So check back soon for that great recipe, but first I wanted to share our latest favorites around here.  These cookies are a dense, full bodied kind of cookie.  Think the opposite of a thin lacey cookie.  This cookie is vegan and gluten free.  I did not use xantham gum in this recipe which is what gives it its nice dense and nutty flavor. (xantham gum is usually used with a gluten free flour to help give it back its "stretch")

Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper

With a mixer, hand held or stand, combine until smooth :
2/3 cup dairy-free shortening (I use Jungle Shortening, which is made with very healthy palm fruit oil)
1/2 cup organic brown sugar
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice
1/4 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon best quality vanilla extract

Then in a separate medium bowl, combine with a whisk
1 3/4 quinoa flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Stir gently until just combined and then fold in:
1 cup dairy free vegan chocolate chips

Use a cookie scooper (the best invention ever!) to place the batter onto the prepared baking sheet.  You may want to push the dough down a bit with the back of a spoon, depending on how high the dough looks.
Bake for 12- 15 minutes or until lightly brown.  Cool for 5-10 minutes on tray, then cool completely on a wire rack.
These are of course delicious warm out of the oven, but freeze them and they are equally delicious and last for quite a few weeks. 
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment