Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Vegan Gluten- Free Chocolate Cupcakes

"It's not worth thinking about...."
That is what the girl was telling her friend, mother, sister, whomever she was speaking to on the other end of her cell phone.  I was standing next to her in line at the bank and couldn't help but over hear.  I gathered she was speaking about a boyfriend or love interest.  I wanted to tap her when she got off her cell phone and say that thoughts all have worth.  They are all valid.  You can't stop your mind from thinking anyway.  So think the thought, and if you don't like it, then let it go. 
But if all thoughts have worth, than my worthy thought for today was cupcakes!  In fact I started thinking about them yesterday, when I found that natural food decorating color I was looking for.  At first I thought Red Velvet, but I woke this morning dreaming of chocolate!
This recipe made a very nice, moist and flavorful cupcake.  I used a vegan gluten- free creamy vanilla frosting on top and with my new colors, magically made it pink!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

This makes 24 cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a cupcake mold with paper liners.

Combine with a whisk:
1 1/2 cups evaporated cane juice
1 cup Bob's Red Mill all purpose gluten free flour
1/4 cup potato or tapioca starch
2/3 cup cacao powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 tsp. xantham gum

Then blend together in a separate bowl:
1/2 cup dairy-free shortening ( I use Jungle Shortening made with Palm fruit oil)
1 1/2 cups dairy-free milk butter milk
(make that by combining the 1 1/2 cups rice or soy milk with 1 1/2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. let that sit for 5-10 minutes)
1 teaspoon best quality vanilla extract
2 tablespoons hot water

Add the wet to the dry ingredients, blending unil fully incorporated but do not over mix. Gluten free flours do not like to be over handled!

Using a cookie scooper, fill cupcake molds evenly with batter.  Bake for 22-25 minutes. 
Cool on a wire rack.
When the cupcakes are cool, enjoy with a sprinkle of organic confectioners sugar or use your frosting of choice.
I used a dairy free vegan recipe below, which as I mentioned, I used India Tree decorating colors to make pink.  Use one drop at a time until you get the color that makes you happy!


Creamy Vanilla Frosting:
Makes 2 cups:
With a hand or stand mixer cream together:
1 cup dairy free margarine
2 Tablespoons Rice or Soy milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Slowly add on low speed, 
2 cups confectioner's sugar

And then continue to mix on medium speed for 4-6 minutes or until light and fluffy.  Chill for about 30 minutes before using in an airtight container.  Can be stored that way for up to one week in the refrigerator.
After frosting cupcakes, they should be put in the refrigerator because this is a "buttercream" frosting and if not eaten right away, will melt.

Happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment