Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Earned My Badge Brownies (gluten free)


I met my very best friend when I was eight years old and we were in the Brownies (girl scouts) together.  It is funny to me that a friendship that has now spanned 32 years, began in light brown pants, orange turtlenecks and little brown vests with badges.  We were pretty proud of those badges and worked as hard as a second grader could to get them.
That is how I feel about this brownie recipe.
I had been having a really tough time creating my ideal vegan brownie. Some recipes were dry, some oily, some crumbly...I just couldn't get it right.  I was also aiming for gluten free, and I think I need an extra badge for that.
This brownie though, really makes me happy.  It is fudgey and moist, with a slightly nutty flavor from the quinoa in it.  But mostly it is chocolaty.  I love all the y's of this brownie!

Back in Brownies with my B.F.F., there was a song that we sang at the close of every meeting. Remember it girls?

I have something in my pocket
That belongs across my face.

I keep it very close to me,
In a most convenient place.

I bet you'll never guess it
If you guess a long long while,

So I'll take it out and put it on.
It's a great big Brownie smile!



Make a batch of these, share them with a friend and you'll all be smiling.


Earned My Badge Brownies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line an 11x9 inch baking pan with a piece of parchment paper, letting an inch hang over the pan on each side.

Whisk together in a medium bowl:
1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill gluten free all purpose flour
1/2 cup organic cocoa
3/4 cup organic quinoa flakes 
1 teaspoon xantham gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 2/3 cups organic brown sugar

Whisk together in a liquid measuring cup:
2/3 cup organic olive oil
3 tablespoon pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons best quality vanilla

In a small bowl, whisk together and let stand for 5 minutes to thicken:
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
6 tablespoons warm water

Combine the olive oil mixture to the flour mixture.  Stir to combine.  Then add in the flaxseed mixture and continue to stir to form a sticky batter.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of water and continue to stir (I know, your arm gets so tired).
Fold in:
3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (I used mini)

Scoop batter into prepared baking pan and using a spatula, spread mixture evenly in the pan. I like to sprinkle some extra chips on top too.
Bake at 350 degrees for 22-26 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow brownies to cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes.  Then lift out the entire pan by the parchment paper and place on a wire rack to continue to cool.  Please wait for these to cool all the way through before cutting them in to squares to enjoy.
Also, these freeze awesome!  Wrap them individually and freeze for up to a month.  They taste great cold or you can zap them for 20 seconds for a little melty chocolate goodness.
Brownie Smile!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim,
    These look delicious. I love the recipes on your blog, especially everything that has sweet potato in it :)
    We met at Peacefood Cafe a couple of weeks ago, I was your waitress. I'm so glad to have found your blog. I'll be reading it!

    Congratulations on the extra badge for gluten free vegan brownies!

    ReplyDelete