Friday, April 15, 2011

Carmelized Chocolate Matzoh


I was thinking about sweet things to make and bring to my family's house for passover dinner next week.  Passover is next week and I have been stumped on what I wanted to make for holiday dessert.
Passover desserts are challenging to me, vegan or not.
When I was a kid, my mother would make beautiful sponge cakes, almond tortes and flourless chocolate cakes. Gorgeous... but I never liked them.  Boring desserts, I used to call them.
My sisters and I would beg my mother to buy us the packaged, boxed desserts. The kind you get in the super market from makers like Manischewitz or Streit's.  My sisters and I loved the lollycones, they are simply, chocolate on a stick.
Our other favorite was chocolate covered matzoh.  Matzoh is an unlevened bread that is made with just flour and water. It is tradition to replace bread with matzoh during passover, and matzoh is a just fine, plain crisp cracker....but if you cover it in chocolate....it turns into an awesome treat!

These days, I don't buy dessert in a box, but I was still wanting to bring chocolate covered matzoh to our family dinner.  I found an amazing recipe for chocolate covered  matzoh by Marcy Goldman from her cookbook A treasury of Jewish holiday baking.  Marcy calls it her Absolutely Magnificent Caramel  Matzoh Crunch.
She is so right on!
She goes one step beyond just chocolate and caramelizes the matzoh before covering it in chocolate.  It is a fabulous blend of sweet and crunchy, with a toffee flavor and a pinch of sea salt to even the whole thing out.
I simply adapted the recipe to vegan and it is so easy, so good, absolutely magnificent!

Caramelized Chocolate Matzoh

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Line a baking sheet with tinfoil, allowing it to come up and over the edges of the pan.  Then lay parchment paper on top of that.

Place 4 sheets Matzoh (I used whole wheat but you can use whatever makes you happy!) on the baking sheet.  Use whole pieces but break it, to make it fit so that the whole pan is covered with Matzoh.

In a saucepan, heat over low heat, stirring constantly:
1 cup of Earth Balance vegan buttery spread
1 cup of organic brown sugar
Allow the sugar to dissolve and the mixture to come to a low boil.  Stir constantly for 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in:
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon organic vanilla

Pour the mixture over your prepared matzoh, use a spatula to spread it all over.

Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes being careful not to let it burn.  
Remove from oven and sprinkle on top:
1 cup of vegan chocolate chips.
Let them sit for 5 minutes and then use an offset spatula to spread the melted chocolate all across the  matzoh.  I like to sprinkle a little coarse sea salt on top.  Chopped nuts would be awesome too.

Allow it to cool completely and then "break" it into smaller pieces.   Magnificent!
Keeps in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.

No comments:

Post a Comment