Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sweet Potato Snacking Cake

I don't really know much about astronomy.  On a starry night outside of New York City, I can pick out Orion's belt, I have spotted shooting stars, and on occasion, I can find the Seven Sisters.
A few nights ago there was a gorgeous moon.  Apparently, a super moon.  The moon was almost 20% closer to the earth than usual and that only happens about every 18 years.  Cool.
Maybe not though.
My baking started to go awry the minute that super moon showed its spectacular self.  I think that moon and the changing tides had an effect on me and my baking.
Brownies...bitter and oily
Cookies...burnt and dry
Cupcakes...well....muffiny
Everything into the trash without even a taste.  Blame it on the moon, I tell you.

The moon looked back to normal last night, and this morning, I woke up knowing something was going to turn out perfectly yummy.
If you have read my earlier recipes, then you know that sweet potato is one of my most favorite foods.  In every which way.  I chose it for baking today, knowing it wouldn't let me down.
I wanted to make a cake, but not really a dessert cake.  Something full of natural and sweet things for snacking or for breakfast. After a whole bunch of baking failures in the last few days, I was ready to sit down with hot cup of coffee and something really awesome.
The super moon is waning, and I turned out a moist, delicious, addictive little cake. Amazing.


Sweet Potato Snacking Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray an 8x8 inch baking pan with non-dairy cooking spray.

Whisk together in a medium bowl:
1 cup of organic spelt flour
3/4 rolled oats (I like to use Bob's Red Mill gluten free organic oats)
2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal
1/2 kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup organic light brown sugar
1/4 cup organic sugar (evaporated cane juice)

In a separate bowl mix to combine:
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon organic light olive oil
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract

Add the oil mixture with the dry mixture, stirring with a spatula to create a sticky batter.  
Then fold in:
1/2 cup organic sweet potato puree (canned is fine too)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
When combined, fold in:
1/4 cup pitted, chopped dates
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Pour mixture into prepared baking sheet and using wet fingers, smooth the top.  I like to sprinkle a few extra cranberries to make it look pretty.
Bake at 350 degrees for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the top feels firm.
Allow to cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes before cutting into squares.  I like this cake best at room temperature, but any leftovers should be wrapped individually and put in to the freezer.
I happen to love it cold too!


1 comment: