Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Corn Muffins

My daughter had her 6 year old boyfriend over today.  I quizzed him about what type of muffins he liked to eat.  I was thinking I would wow him with the delicious banana muffins, chocolate chip muffins or pumpkin muffins I had made that day.
"No thank you" he said.  "I only like corn muffins".
I stared at him for a moment...

Oh, you know how I love a vegan challenge.
I bent down and looked him in those cute eyes that my daughter finds so mesmerizing.
"No problem" I said as I tied on the new apron my kids had bought for me last weekend.
"Corn muffins, coming right up!"
No way I was going to let a 6 year old psych me out over muffins.



Corn Muffins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
Makes 12 muffins

Whisk together in a medium bowl:
1 cup cornmeal sifted (I use Bob's Red Mill organic medium coarse cornmeal)
1 cup organic pastry flour (whole wheat)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
5 tablespoons organic sugar

In a separate bowl combine:
1 cup organic rice milk
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
let them sit for 5-10 minutes to make "buttermilk"
Then add in:
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in buttermilk mixture.
Combine very gently, and then slowly add in and mix gently again to just combine:
2 tablespoons organic canola oil
2 tablespoons hot water

Pour batter into prepared muffin tin 3/4 of the way full.  Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes.  When done, the muffins should feel slightly firm and a toothpick inserted should come out clean.
Remove from oven and let them sit in the muffin tin for 5 minutes. Then turn out onto a wire rack to continue to cool. 
These are sure to make any corn muffin lover, at any age, happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment