Friday, March 11, 2011

Banana Walnut Breakfast Muffins + Chocolate Chip Minis




Time to make the donuts.  Not.

I don't know what I did to upset those donut gods today.  But man, did I ever make them mad.
I tried to make chocolate donuts all day.  My daughter was home from school sick and she watched me from the couch (in between commercials) and shook her head in sympathy.

I do have a very successful, works every time, plain donut recipe (see powdered donut post), but this chocolate guy would not cooperate.
After the fourth batch all went in to the trash, I decided to give up...for today.
I had to take a break on the donut guy routine for now, but I will try another day.

What I did make with a last minute, never surrender attitude, was delicious banana walnut oatmeal muffins. Switching gears to something more healthful and not too sweet was where my baking needed to be.
They are an awesome breakfast, filled with spelt, flaxmeal and oatmeal.  The bananas keep it tasty and moist and the walnuts give it that perfect crunch.

Just for extra health, I only sweetened these muffins with pure maple syrup....I had to make sure all the baking gods weren't against me today. 
Judgement?  Two thumbs up. 


Just for fun, I made a batch a little sweeter by leaving out the nuts, tossing in lots of mini chips and making them mini in size.  The kids especially loved those, and I feel really good about giving them for breakfast.

Banana Walnut Breakfast Muffins + Chocolate Chip Minis

Banana Walnut recipe:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
Makes 12 muffins or 24 minis
Prepare topping first, so that when the batter is ready it can go right into the oven.

Topping for Walnut Muffins
Whisk together:
1 tablespoon spelt flour
2 teaspoon pure maple syrup 
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Set aside.

Batter
Whisk together in a medium bowl:
1 1/4 organic spelt flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons ground organic flaxseed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

In a separate bowl whisk together until well combined:
1/2 cup rice milk
2 tablespoons warm water
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3)

Add dry to wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated.  
Fold in:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts  ( I like to toast mine for 5 minutes before I begin baking)

To make the Banana Chocolate Minis, follow the above recipe, leaving out the walnuts and the topping. (or leave them in, your choice!)
Instead, add in 1/2 cup of vegan mini chocolate chips.  Bake same as below.

Fill prepared muffin tin with batter each 3/4 full.  Sprinkle a little bit of topping on each unbaked muffin (if using).  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes on mini muffins, 10-15 on regular size. A toothpick inserted will come out clean and muffins feel springy when done.
Remove from oven and let muffins sit in pan, on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan to wire rack.

Enjoy warm, or allow to cool completely and then store in an airtight container.
As always, I like to freeze any leftovers from the day.  These muffins make a great on the go breakfast and defrost really nicely.   Happiness!



No comments:

Post a Comment