Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Go Bananas Cookie (gluten free)



Last night when my husband turned off the lights and got into bed, he rolled toward me and gave me a goodnight hug and a kiss.  He said "Boy, you smell good".
That struck me as funny, because usually at the end of a long day with the kids,  fresh,  is not my middle name.
So I asked suspiciously, "What do I smell like?"

"Cookies" he replied

I smiled to myself in the dark.  What could be better than that?

The cookie I made today is one of my favorites.  It is another one of those, eat it for breakfast, have it for snack, eat it for dessert, whenever cookie.
A real multi- tasker.  I love a food like that!  Who says a cookie can only be one thing.
These big cookies are made with bananas, maple syrup, raisins, and agave nectar.  It is filled with oats, walnuts and flaxmeal, which will fill you up with it's protein and fiber.  All of that, and it will keep you satisfied without sending a sugar spike into your bloodstream.
Love this guy!

And one more reason to love this cookie in case you are not convinced...if your kids (husband) don't like nuts and raisins, just throw chocolate chips in. 
Go Bananas Cookie
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
Makes 20 medium or 12 large cookies

In a medium bowl mash together:
3/4 cup very ripe mashed bananas (about 2 medium size)
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
1/4 cup organic rice milk

Then add in and whisk:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla

In another medium bowl whisk together:
3/4 cup gluten free oat flour
1 cup organic millet flour
1/4 cup potato starch
3/4 teaspoon xantham gum
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and just incorporate, mixing gently.
Then fold in until combined:
2 cups Bob's Red Mill gluten free rolled oats
1 cup chopped walnuts (I toasted mine first at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes)
1 cup raisins
or
1 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
(I put 1/2 cup walnuts and 1/2 cup raisins in half of the batter, and then 3/4 cup chips in the other.)

With a cookie scooper place batter (1 tablespoon for medium cookies, 2 tablespoons for large), about 2 inches apart on the lined cookie sheet.  These cookies will not spread, so with two wet fingers, gently pat them down into flatter 1inch thick disks.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-14 minutes or until edges are crispy and tops are golden brown.  Let sit on baking sheet to cool 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
These will stay in an airtight container on the counter for 2 days, or as always, wrap individually and freeze for excellent results.  Then you can just pull out one at a time and warm up in the microwave for 25 seconds.
Yum!




1 comment:

  1. These are easy to make and my boys loved them!!!

    ReplyDelete