Monday, July 11, 2011

Zucchini Raisin Muffin

A while back I had attempted to bake zucchini muffins. They were a disaster. Truly.  Into the garbage, batch after batch those went.  My big, fat, yucky muffins.  I hate when that happens!

Recently, I was sitting with a friend at a farmers market and we were enjoying a vegan zucchini muffin from a local baker.  It was so delicious, but it brought me back to those loathsome feelings I had from my own failed attempts.  Well, that was it for me.
I headed home with a fresh zucchini under my arm and knew this time it was going to be different.  Set your mind to the muffin and well...here it is, the delicious taste of success.

Whew.  To think....I almost got beat by a squash.

Zucchini Raisin Muffins

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly coat a muffin tin with non-dairy cooking spray.

Whisk together in a medium bowl:
2 cups of organic pastry flour
1/4 cup golden ground flax seed
1 teaspoon organic cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon organic nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

In a measuring cup, combine and allow to sit for 5 minutes:
1 cup organic almond milk (rice or soy is fine too)
1 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar

Then combine milk mixture with:
1/4 cup organic canola oil
1/3 cup organic sugar
1/3 cup organic brown sugar

In the flour mixture toss in:
1/2 cup raisins
Then pour the dry mixture into the wet and stir gently to combine.
Fold in:
1 cup shredded zucchini

Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each one 3/4 of the way full.  Bake at 350 degrees for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove from oven and turn the muffins out on a wire rack to cool.  
Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment