Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Snickerdoodle Cookie


What is this so called Snickerdoodle?  It was not a cookie I was familiar with.
It was not a cookie that my mother baked, and it was not a cookie that I have bought at the bakery.

But I have been seeing them around more and more, and I was curious to try them.
So here is what I know now.
The snickerdoodle is essentially a butter cookie rolled in cinnamon sugar.  Sweet, chewy, soft and a little crispy with a hint of that cinnamon spice.  Yum!
I made a batch last Saturday night.  My husband, who is such a good guy, was babysitting for my sister's children that night.  When my husband came home well after midnight, I jumped out of bed (even though I had been asleep,) and presented him with a plate of snickerdoodles.
He got in to bed with the plate, and I watched as he ate them and nodded his head yes.
Victory!

I thought it was pretty easy to set those little guys into a blissful vegan state.  I used an organic soft wheat pastry flour, a little bit of flaxseed and of course, my ever favorite Earth Balance "butter".
As an added awesome bonus, they bake up super fast.  So you can be armed with a freshly baked, delicious cookie day or midnight.

Snickerdoodle Cookie

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
Makes about 18 cookies.

In a small bowl, whisk and let stand for 5 minutes:
1 tablespoon golden flaxmeal
3 tablespoons warm water

With an electric mixer, beat together until fluffy:
1/2 cup Earth Balance at room temperature
1 cup organic sugar

Then add and beat for another 30 seconds:
1 teaspoon organic vanilla
2 teaspoons organic rice milk
 flax meal mixture

In a medium bowl, whisk together:
1 1/2 cups organic soft wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons organic corn starch
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Add the flour mixture by two batches to the "butter" and lightly blend with the mixer or gently by hand.  A thick dough will form.  Use a tablespoon scoop and roll the dough into a ball and then roll the ball in this cinnamon sugar mixture.
3 tablespoons organic sugar
1 teaspoon organic cinnamon

I also tried this variation and my chocolate loving kids, loved them!
Add one teaspoon of organic cocoa (not hot cocoa mix)to the cinnamon sugar mixture before rolling.

Place the dough 2 inches apart on the baking sheet and using the back of a measuring cup or glass, flatten the cookie to be a about 1 inch thick disk.  These cookies will puff in the oven, spread and then get thin and flat.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  Remove the sheet from the oven and allow cookies to sit on the pan for 5 minutes.  Remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.  
If there are any left, I always like to store our cookies in the freezer.  Great for those midnight cravings....

1 comment:

  1. Yummy, slightly crispy and chewy at the same time.

    ReplyDelete