Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cherry Chocolate Chip Biscotti (gluten free)


I was beginning to think I shouldn't be in the kitchen today.
Last night at 10:00pm, I dropped a huge, glass bottle of organic olive oil.  It slipped right out of my hands and smashed onto the kitchen floor.  One thousand shards of glass sat floating in a lake of cold pressed olive oil.
I liken this to the Exxon Valdez oil spill.  Tragic.

After cleaning that for over an hour last night and still, today cleaning off baby ducks...I dropped an entire canister of organic cocoa powder.  A giant cloud of cocoa floated down into the kitchen.
Yes, as you might imagine...the cocoa is now sticking to the residual oil spill.

Is anyone feeling a little bad for me?

So, my baking today was set back by a couple of hours.  My coffee had grown cold in it's mug, and I figured I might as well switch to afternoon tea.
Well...I needed Biscotti with that.  Biscotti is one of those cookies that is perfect for dipping in something hot, or just crunching on for a not too sweet snack.

Luckily....I hadn't dropped my gluten free flour too.

Cherry Chocolate Chip Biscotti (gluten-free)
This recipe makes 24 cookies.  
Preheat 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.

Whisk together in a medium bowl:
2 3/4 cups of Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon xantham gum

In another medium bowl, whisk together:
1 cup organic sugar
1/2 cup organic canola oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons warm water

Pour dry ingredients into the wet and stir together to combine.  This will form a very thick dough.  
Mix in with a spatula:
1/2 cup of dried cherries
1/2 cup of vegan chocolate chips

Assemble the batter into two 8 inch by 4 inch "logs".  Use damp hands to smooth them into about a 1/4 inch thickness.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  The logs should look slightly puffed and golden brown.  Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for about 30 minutes.
Using a very sharp knife, cut the log into 1 inch strips (biscotti style!).  Do not saw the log...just cut down with a sharp smooth movement.  Otherwise the cookie will crumble.  (and that's not the way it goes)
Then, carefully slide each piece onto its side and put them back in the oven.  Lower the temperature to 325 degrees and "toast" the cookies for another 15-20 minutes more.  They should turn nice and toasty looking, just be careful to not let them burn.  Remove from the oven and allow to sit on the baking sheet for 10 more minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Brew some coffee or tea and get to dipping! 


No comments:

Post a Comment