Monday, June 27, 2011

Raw Blackberry Pie


I love the heat.
I love summertime, I love the desert and my favorite thing to do, is a hot yoga class in a 105 degree room.

The other morning though, I was really melting during one of my beloved yoga classes and I started dreaming of these cold little guys.
They are raw blackberry sorbet pies.  Aren't they cute?
Here is an all natural, raw treat that really cools you down.  Perfect for summer, because you don't ever even have to turn on the oven They are made in a high powered blender, and then frozen to set.  Then they get defrosted in the refrigerator so they are still served very cool and a little bit soft.

My husband likes to eat them straight out of the freezer for dessert.  Me...I pop one in the fridge before my yoga class, and then run home to dig right in! They make a really terrific breakfast.

Raw Blackberry Pie
I make these in a cupcake tin.  You can also use an 8 inch round pie pan or a spring form pan and then cut them into pie slices.

For the crust:
Soak  2 cups raw cashews in a bowl of water that covers them for 1-3 hours.
Drain and blend in a high power mixer with:  (I love my vita-mix!)
1 cup of pitted medjool dates
1/8 teaspoon of sea salt

Blend together until the mixture is smooth.
Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of organic raw coconut into the bottom of the cupcake tin
Press 1-2 tablespoons of the crust mixture into the bottom of the cupcake tin pressing firmly and evenly.
Place the tin in the freezer while you prepare the filling.

For the filling:
Blend in a high powered mixer until smooth and creamy:
3 cups of organic blackberries
1/3 cup agave nectar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup pure coconut oil melted
Pinch of sea salt

Pour the Blackberry filling onto the prepared crust.  Tap the tin on the counter a few times to get out the air bubbles.  Garnish with some fresh berries and then place it back in the freezer to set completely and freeze.  

Move them to the fridge about an hour before planning to serve to defrost, otherwise, keep it covered in the freezer where it will stay fresh for up to a month.
Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment